Friday, April 23, 2010

Purple Bliss

My lilacs are blooming! I am so excited. Lilac is my favorite flower! They are very nostalgic for me. I grew up in Spokane, Washington also called the Lilac City. I can remember the feeling I used to get when I would  walk down to the end of the street. Our neighbor had a whole row of lilacs trees that were just huge. I loved to just stand there and smell them. There were so many and the smell was so potent. I love that smell to this day. . . I wonder if those trees are still there? Anyway I used to go down there just to pick the ones that grew through the fence. I'm sure the people that lived there knew, but they were nice and I don't think they cared that an 8 year old picked the few flowers out of hundreds, that managed to squeeze through their fence. One of my fondest memories. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cary, I'm participating in an art show in a couple of weeks in Rochester, NY called the Lilac Festival. It's in Highland park, and it has over 500 varieties of lilacs there--it's a beautiful park--as long as the weather is good--Rochester's weather is very undependable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Diane!! How wonderful! I am so jealous! I hope the weather stays beautiful for the festival. If you take any pictures, I would love to see them!

    ReplyDelete