Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Leda and the Swan

Ok I'm done with my new one! It's based on Greek mythology. Basically the story says that Zeus, Ruler of the Olymian gods, took the form of a swan in order to seduce a mortal woman named Leda. Seems to be a common theme in mythology, for Zeus to go around in disguise seducing mortals that is. Anyway I liked the idea of a painting with this subject. It's not new though by any means. It was used as subject matter and painted as early as the 1500's by Leonardo Da Vinici and possibly earlier. It was a very popular theme in the renaissance. They could get away with painting a nude female figure and depicting sex without showing an actual man and woman together, which would have been a really big NO NO! :) Anyway, I am very pleased with how it turned out! 

Click on the picture to go to listing on Ebay.

3 comments:

  1. I love her Cary, and what a gifted artist you are--thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreamy Beautiful - love the Color pallet here Cary, very very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank Diane and Loralai! I really appreciate the feedback! I stayed in a more pastel color theme and it gave it a softer look.

    ReplyDelete