Monday, July 12, 2010

Madonna and Child

This piece is a mixed media painting with a collage background. It's kind of an ode to Botticelli. I've incorporated many mini pictures of artwork by Botticelli and Scripture from an old bible, which can be seen in places.
I have really been inspired lately by a lot of the works of the Renaissance period and the old masters. I based this painting on a piece by Botticelli of the Madonna and Child.
Actual size is 24 x 24 inches square or 2 feet x 2 feet square. 


 Work In Progress!
 I drew out my original work
then I started adding the collage elements. If I had been thinking, I would have added the collage elements first, but adding them  didn't really occur to me till after it was already drawn. 



You can see the scripture really well in these photos. 


I then started antiquing the background to really imply the feeling of age to the piece.


This piece just seemed to take on a life of it's own. It felt like I was just using my hands to do the work the painting was telling me to do. It just turned out so much better than my expectations. One of my favorite pieces. Which is saying something, since every piece is my favorite while I'm working on it!
 





1 comment: